Does the amount of citric acid in the water effect how long it takes for a bath bomb to dissolve?
Abigail Manning Sarah Volk
Sarah- I think that the bath bomb with 2 tsp of citric acid in the water will make the bath bomb dissolve the fastest because citric acid is what is in a bath bomb that makes it fizz and when it fizzes then it makes the bath bomb dissolve.
Abigail- I think that the bath bomb with 2 tsp of citric acid will dissolve the most because citric acid makes things dissolve faster and because it is a natural acid.
Particles are tiny bits of matter which make up every single thing in the world.
Particles are made out of atoms
Particles that are in liquid can flow
Particles are more spread apart in gases.
About citric acid
- Natural citric acid is found in citrus foods such as lemons,limes,grapefruits,tangerines and oranges.
- Citric acid can be natural or man made in a lab.
- Citric acid is often used to preserve foods. It is added to cleaning and beauty products for smell.
- Citric acid is not toxic or harmful.
More about Citric acid
- Citric acid is used in medicine to treat kidney stones.
- Citric acid is used to make candy sour
- Citric acid preserves things
- It is also used for stabling medicines
- Citric acid is also called sour salt
- Citric acid can kill bacteria
When baking soda and citric acid get mixed in water they create a chemical reaction. Which makes the bath bomb fizz, because there is citric acid and baking soda in them and then you put it in water the chemical reaction happens and then it fizzes then it dissolves from the fizz.
How fast it took for the bath bomb to dissolve in citric acid water.
The amount of citric acid in the water
- Make the bath bombs with the same bath bomb recipe (other than the amount of citric acid in the water).
- Bath bombs each weigh 35g
- The same temperature of water (the same thermometer).
- The same amount of water.
- Right when the bath bomb hits the water we click start on the timer.
- We stirred each jar with water and citric acid to make the citric acid to dissolve
1.First you need to make the bath bombs with the same recipe. Next fill 3 jars with 1 cup water. That is 42 degrees celsius we will make sure with a thermometer. And they have different amounts of citric acid
3. Put the bath bomb in the jar with the water and 2 teaspoons of citric acid before we put the bath bomb in right when it hits the water click start on the stopwatch.
4.When the bath bomb is fully dissolved click stop on the stop watch and write down what happened.
5. Do this with all of the bath bombs with different amounts of citric acid in the water three times each.
In our experiment we saw bubbles in the middle of the jars. Bubbles are soap films wrapped around air paricails. Soap films are made from soap and water. The soap film looks like a sandwich with soap as the bread on the outside and water as the filling on the inside.
In our experiment we saw a cloudy colour in the jar. The cloudy colour is because the bath bombs are dissolving when it dissolves it is breaking down into little particles and when the particles separate they turn the water a cloudy colour.
The cloudy colour is because the bath bombs are dissolving when it dissolves it is breaking down into little particles and when the particles separate they turn the water a cloudy colour.Bubbles are soap films wrapped around air paricails. Soap films are made from soap and water. The soap film looks like a sandwich with soap as the bread on the outside and water as the filling on the inside.
Both of our hypotheses were wrong because the citric acid acted like a preserver and made the water with citric acid take longer and that is what Abigail and I thought would take the fastest.
Citric acid preserves more than just food, meat,liquids and candy; it may also preserve a bath bomb. It may make soap last longer.
Sources Of Error
We would buy more jars so we could do more at a time. We would buy or get more stopwatches so we could time all of them at a once. If we had more time we would make more bath bombs.
Ashley manning for leting us do it at her house.